Here's an excerpt from the inside cover:
"Food. There's plenty of it around, and we all love to eat it. So why should anyone need to defend it? Because most of what we're consuming today is not food, and how we're consuming it- in the car, in front of the TV, and increasingly alone- is not really eating. Instead of food, we're consuming "edible foodlike substances"- no longer the products of nature but of food science. Many of them come packaged with health claims that should be our first clue that they are anything but healthy. In the so-called Western diet, food has been replaced by nutrients, and common sense by nutrition..."
It's so true. In health classes, we're trained to read labels on food products but not how to take whole food ingredients and actually cook with them. Have you ever noticed how tasteless mass-produced cheese is? That's because it is seriously lacking in nutrients. Even our whole foods have been affected by industrialization. We have to eat the equivalent of 3 apples to get the same amount of nutrition that that one apple had 60 years ago. Much of today's diseases, including diabetes, cancer, and heart disease are more prevalent in diets where processed foods and industrialized agriculture have taken over.
I could go on... but I'll stop. :) You'll just have to read the book.
4 comments:
I read a couple of books over the summer that got me thinking along the same lines. I did great for a while and have been sliding back to the regular junk so I need to get going again. We'll have to share healthy recipes and ideas.
The books were Super Foods -- I liked it. It gave some ideas about what food are super packed with nutrients and how to get them into your diet every day. It was nothing fancy -- foods like citrus, spinach, etc, but it was a good reminder of how empty of nutrients so much of the food we eat is. I can't remember the other book but I didn't like it nearly as well.
Sounds interesting. We live about 1/2 mile from a Kraft factory, and some days the smell coming from there is absolutely nauseating. I can hardly look at Kraft products or any kind of Mac and Cheese without feeling ill. I've been trying to avoid processed foods a lot lately as I've noticed that I just don't feel as good after eating them compared to eating something fresh and homemade.
I do think it's interesting that we've added all of these non-food additives and preservatives to our foods, but we really don't know the long-term effects of all this (except that obesity levels are rising).
I'm excited to see you guys next week!
I was interested for awhile in alkaline and acidic foods and how you can solve so many health problems by lowering the acid in your diet (acidic foods are more of the meats, refined sugars, dairy fats, white flour, etc.) Illnesses thrive in our bodies with an acidic environment. What I find amazing is that the more you study health and food, it always comes down to The Word of Wisdom.
this is a great post. i'll have to get the book. i totally agree with you and need to be better about watching what we all eat.
Post a Comment