Tuesday, June 17, 2014

To be 3 years old...

As Ruth is approaching the end of 3, I've been contemplating on the purpose of raising toddlers.  3 seems to be the most challenging year of childhood, as you endure sibling rivalry, potty training, tantrums, etc.  It almost seems like they can't decide whether to remain in babyhood or to embrace growing up.  

Despite the turbulence of age 3, I've learned a few things about each of my children's personalities.  David is high energy and easily distracted, two things that require patience.  Once he's channeled in the right direction, we get along great.  James is one who wants to be understood.  When he talks to me, I have two look him squarely in the eyes or else he thinks that I'm not listening (which is probably true).  If James feels like he's being listened to, he is generally happy and we can avoid meltdowns.  Ruth desires companionship, lots of it.  You can't expect her to happily complete a task all by herself.  She also needs lots of affection and time cuddled on my lap.  When we have an unhappy day, I soon realize that we didn't start off with enough hugs.

Emmy, what will I have to learn from you?  :)


No comments: