Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Williamsburg and beyond

We have just returned from a wonderful visit to the beautiful states of Virginia and North Carolina.  Upon arrival, the weather felt barren and cold, but 10 days later as we left, spring was in full bloom with flowers, blossoms, and birds everywhere.  How fun to witness spring unfold!  As we were boarding our first flight, Ruth was pulled aside by the stewardess and invited to meet the pilot.  She was even allowed to sit in the front seat!  Lucky girl!

Our first day, we visited Williamsburg, a huge restored colonial town.  Grandma and Grandpa Mumford, as well as the Biglers joined us.  We enjoyed tours, reinactments, and the lovely scenery as we walked from place to place.  The highlight for me was the reading of the Declaration of Independence from the footsteps of the courthouse... first time that I've ever heard it from start to finish.  As the crowd cheered, I felt a rush of excitement, almost as if I was actually transported back to 1776.







No comments: